Bhutan Trust Fund (BTF) was established in 1991 with a vision to secure a mechanism for sustainable financing for the preservation of the country’s rich biodiversity, promote social welfare through conservation of environment, and address ecological impact of development and climate change.
BTF is an autonomous grant-making organization, independent of the government, that functions under the jurisdiction of the Royal Charter 2021.
BTF provides leadership and funding for local communities, civil society organizations and government agencies to collectively strive to realize the vision of sustainable financing for environmental conservation in Bhutan.
BTF generates income in three categories (interest, dividend and realised capital gain) from its endowment fund of over $21 million initially raised from multilateral and bilateral networks. The endowment has grown to approximately $72 million and around 80% is invested in global financial markets and remaining 20% in the Bhutanese financial market. In addition, BTF is accredited entity to Adaptation Fund and Green Climate Fund and is eligible to accessing project based financing upto $10 million per project.
The Royal Charter 2021 defines BTF as a not-for-profit entity.
BTF belongs to all Bhutanese and therefore, all institutions, agencies, private entities and individuals can apply for Advocacy Grants from BTF. However, Advocacy Fund proposal must be submitted to the BTF Secretariat in Advocacy Fund template with forwarding letter addressed to the Managing Director. The templates can be downloaded from our website.
BTF supports following two funding windows: i. Large Grant up to Nu. 15 million and the project duration should not exceed three years. Project feasibility and preparatory grant is also provided if required for potential large grants project proposals. ii. Small Grant up to four hundred thousand ngultrum and the project duration must not exceed one year. Small grants are provided to address immediate environmental mitigation measures.
BTFEC belongs to all Bhutanese and therefore, all Bhutanese (institutions, agencies, private entities and individuals) are eligible to access large and small grants from BTF.
To avail grants from BTF, interested proponents can submit their proposal to the BTF Secretariat after the call for proposal is announced (annually through mainstream media). All proposals must be submitted as per the BTF template. For further assistance, the proponents can enquire BTF secretariat during office hours.
Project-related Investment (PRI) is a new funding window under the BTF. PRI is a flexible financing tool allowing BTF to invest in solutions to social/ environmental/climate problems resulting from conservation of ecosystem. While the PRI is to make social impact through conservation, it is also recycling those monies for new investment either at below market interest or no interest. Thus, creating a win-win situation. For more information, please enquire BTF secretariat during office hours.
BTF belongs to all Bhutanese and therefore, all institutions, agencies, private entities and individuals are eligible to apply for PRI support of BTF.
BTFEC stands for Bhutan Trust fund for Environmental Conservation.
BTF office is located at Genyen Lam SW, Thimphu, Bhutan. The new structure (two-storied building) next to Thimphu Ecological Park main entrance gate, near the YDF complex.
Copyright © 2024 Bhutan Trust Fund for Environmental Conservation. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED